IOS6 App Store Categories Gone


So yeah, I guess I’m behind the times. I haven’t browsed categories on the appstore since whenever IOS6 kicked in. To be fair, I also didn’t update to IOS until recently. I don’t like trusting my daily communication to software updates. Late adopter in the hizzy!

While trying to find out where the fuck my cats went to, I came across this techcrunch article talking about how wonderful this is.

“This is a remarkable change, when you stop and think about it, as Apple is now directing users to trust in Apple’s search and recommendations over category browsing. It’s a move that’s almost reminiscent of the time when we stopped locating websites via directories, and turned to search engines instead. With some 700,000+ applications in the App Store, now seems to be a good time to begin directing users to new discovery mechanisms as well.”

First of all, you are totally fucking wrong. It isn’t “reminiscent of the time when we stopped locating websites via directories“. It would be better to compare it to that time when Amazon and eBay removed their categories, and replaced them with suggestions of for what you should buy, based on your previous buying habits. Oh wait. They haven’t fucking done that. Do you know why? Because its a shitty fucking idea.

I can’t imagine anyone over at Apple user tested this, much less that it tested positively.

What I found perhaps MOST frustrating is not just that the button for it is gone, but that when I find apps, I STILL SEE THE FUCKING CATEGORIES, but I CANNOT CLICK ON THEM. Apple is actively preventing me from getting to where I want. Being forced to use Genius might make sense for their marketing team, but the useability is shite.






So here is how it looks after another coat of stain, and a bit of sanding. I found a vacuum attachment really handy for cleaning up the surface, not to mention my sanding blocks ( sponges? )




I applied a coat of shellac to the top, using a rattle spray can. Went back and forth 2-3 times, trying to get an even coloring/coating, but these wet spots were still there. Looking at some other people apply it with industrial tools, it looks like I should be laying down a heavier layer.


Someone suggested that sanding would resolve this issue. I sanded with 220 grit to pull out the little nibs of wood. I didn’t realize this, but sanding is necessary ( as I understand it ) because the water in the dye or stain causes the wood to swell. This pushes up the tiny cut fibers in the wood. Now that our first level of finish has locked them in place, we lightly sand to get them out.

Sanding did not appear to really remove these reflective differences, and I didn’t want to tear through my layer of shellac. If this light sanding doesnt help with the next application, I can sand through it all tomorrow.

UPDATE: I found one of the sites I spoke about yesterday – Turtle and Tails: Dresser Refinishing. I liked how this turned out – it feels more sophisticated then crafty/shabby – which is pretty damn impressive considering what they started with.

Pretty kick ass before and after:


They used a wood stain initially to take out some of the orange, and then did a paint wash on top.


I’ve had this unfinished dresser in my bedroom for several years. The time has come to turn it into something a bit less ugly. Inspiration – these wonderful grey woods:

c13 5192360899_4197855ff3_z grey_in_la_1 like mine lime mine 2 Porcelanosa-Grupo_Revival_Antic-colonial slim_Metal_Grey_1 spr13_002_vienne_nursery

Of particular note is the super sexy RH dresser.

I’m not the only one to try and imitate this finish. Amanda Carol has a little walkthrough  which didn’t tell me quite what I needed to know. Kara Paslay had some helpful info on creating a good oxidized wash  I will try this in the future. Something she pointed out was just how different this works on different wood. This comes into play later. Thrifty and Chic has some good information on using stains and paints. There was a better walkthrough, but of course I’ve lost it now. Here is what I DONT want to do. It just looks painted and gloppy.

I did not take a ” before” pic – what I have instead is a “beginning” pic:



Process so far:

  • Crappy sanding job
  • No pre-treatment
  • Oil based grey stain 1 layer


  • while not as blue as shown in this pic it is still no where close to what I wanted. It looks like I did a shitty job spray painting it primer grey. Instead of the stain looking subtle it just looks splotchy
  • You can see marks where I removed the fixures – they had diamond backplates and its marked the wood

Next step: resand those fronts and get rid of the diamond shapes. Hopefully get rid of some blotchiness as well. Here is a before/after:


I think I removed some of the blotchiness from the middle, and definitely got rid of the diamond shape. Still a far cry from what I was hoping for, but its a step in the right direction. It still feels more shabby-chic than sophisticated. I will probably have to settle for that.

I also re-sanded the top ( this time to 220 grit ) and will try a light reapplication of the stain. Some observations:

  • The color of the wood shows through far more than I thought. one DIYer got a great effect by staining their pine with a brown first, and then doing a grey paint wash on top. IT took out a lot of the orange. gotta find that walkthrough.
  • I still suck at staining. I know pine is harder, but yeah. I’m still learning the ins and outs of why / when / how much to sand, how long to leave the stain on, and just reading about finishing options … its a freaking rabbit hole of information.
  • Despite repeated failings I am still not good at “Measure twice, cut once” When I have time/inclination to work on a project – I tend to dive in and learn as I go. My test samples were done quickly, and when I didn’t get what I wanted, I just started painting.