Garden Shade… Battle Rescheduled

Welp, that sure didn’t happen.

  • Can buy square for $10 at Home Depot. So fuck me for all that time I put in.
  • No time to build fancy shit before tomato season. As you can see these Tomatos are booming, and summer is beating down.

So we are going with our tried and true “green poles in ground” method. Nothing too fancy, but functional.

IMG_1080-1200 IMG_1081-12004 poles hammered into ground for each bed ( 7 ft poles, like $7 each ) . Twine tied between the poles. Hung shade cloth on the side that gets heavy afternoon sun, and birdcloth everywhere else.

IMG_1090-1200There was a gap on this side between the two beds, so I created a bit of a door with a 3rd piece of shade cloth. Note the old grommet style clips.. This year I did it a bit differently.

IMG_1091-1200In the past I used fancy grommet clip things.. this year I just used quick ties. gives me more flexibility, will be easy to clip off when I need to.I can also basically “sew” layers together so they are all fixed to the same point.

IMG_1092-1200

In the past, I’ve had trouble when the monsoons come through – the shade cloth turns into a giant fucking sail, and will often break the twine. This year I tied each piece of twine separately to the pole, so if one breaks, the whole thing doesn’t collapse.

I’ve clipped a lot of layers to other layers though… so I’m worried that it will make it even more sail-like.. we will see.

SCORE!

ZERO, it’s not a goddamn battle. I gave up, and stuck up the same shit I did last year. But here is the breakdown anyway.

Time spent: 2-3 hours, mostly at Lowe’s
Specialty tools needed: A post pounder thing really makes this a ton easier. I borrowed one.
Time wasted before I went back to tried and true method: 10+ hours
Overall quality of finished project: 7.3
S.O. Happiness Factor: Achieved