Campaign: MKIV GOLF UPGRADES

Green VW MKIV 1999.5 Golf

It has been about 2 years in the making. A series of failed attempts, research, and a lucky CraigsList buy. Each issue I thought I solved raised another issue. Each solved issue raised a new possible upgrade.

Typical example: Bought cupholder, find out that it only works on 2000+ MKIVs. To make it fit I need to dremel out the radio cage. No problem, right? Oh wait, to do that you have to take out THE ENTIRE CENTER CONSOLE, and even then you are only halfway to getting the cage out. Well, how about a center console with a cup mod on it? Ok great.. but to make that work I have to BEND THE FUCKING EMERGENCY BRAKE. Nothing in this bullshit is simple. So… here we go…

It is time to fix a whole series of issues with a 1999.5 MKIV Golf.

  • Remove and replace damaged cloth on weather stripping
  • Replace broken glove compartment
  • Replace broken Dash Cupholder
  • Replace center console with additional cupholder mod
  • Replace interior handles / a pillars / etc

Much of this was made possible by a Craigslist Ad, where some guy was swapping out all the beige items in his car for black ones. His car was in amazing condition, and I was able to get some great pieces at a low price.

So lets kick this fucker off.

 

 

SKIRMISH: REVERSE OSMOSIS COMPRESSION NUT

In the perfect world

I hate these things, and I struggle to get them to work properly. That bronze thing sticking out of the end always seems to cause problems.

Last night the RO system started spraying water everywhere. I suspect the plumber who came to look at the garbage disposal accidentally pulled it loose. That shouldnt be possible, because RO systems use “compression nut” to lock down the ends of the tubes.

The person who installed the system however did NOT do it correctly. The bronze thing on the end was not there AND they are using a compression fitting for a copper pipe, not plastic tubing.

The problem I have with these, is that I can never get the parts to work together properly. Here is a handy video on how it should be done:

I have found that the bronze “tube” provided in kits at lowes/homedespots is too long AND once inserted, increases the diameter of the tubing such that it won’t fit into the sleeve or compression nut.

This time, I asked the guy at Lowe’s to open it up, show me how the pieces all fit together and also did it using their tubing. It all worked together nicely, so I bought the tubing as well. And everything came together very nicely at home.

STEP 1: Turn off Water

IMG_9533-1000STEP 2: Locate tubing and remove

IMG_9537-1000STEP 3: Discard old tubing and compression nut ( note the built in compression sleeve )

IMG_9538-1000
STEP 4: Put tube, plastic sleeve and compression nut on new tubing … in the proper order. ( edges of tube are bent because I mangled it taking it back out / reinserting it )

IMG_9541-1000STEP 5: Screw it back in. ( not shown… cut to size and reattach the other end, turn water back on )

IMG_9544-1000

SCORE: Clear Victory. For now. unless it comes out at night and floods the house.

COMING SOON! It is time for the yearly filter / bleach of the RO system.